Thursday, July 30, 2009

Brett Favre, please stay home!

Dear Mr. Favre,

I remember last off season when you first made the announcement that you wanted to come back to the NFL and rumors swirled that you might become a New York Jet, my favorite football team.

At first, the thought of having a future Hall of Fame QB in a Jets jersey was really appealing and I could not contain my excitement as I texted all my friends that the J-E-T-S were going to make some serious noise in the upcoming season. Having you in a Jets uniform would be our best chance of going deep in the playoffs, and possibly winning the Super Bowl. You would help bring some excitement back to the Jets organization while stealing some headlines from the rival Giants. You would give us a counterpart to go up against Tom Brady and the "mighty" Patriots.

However, it struck me that you never mentioned the Jets as a team you wanted to play for, there were questions about the health of your arm, and I wasn't sure how you would be able to deal with the "bright lights" of playing in NY. I told my Jet fan friends that if you played one year and the team did not make the playoffs, it would be a bad decision. After starting 8-3, my friends were asking me "still want Chad as your starting QB?". Jet Nation was on a high and getting excited about going to the playoffs. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the 8-3 start.

All of a sudden, it all went down hill and the team collapsed and did not make the playoffs while Chad Pennington and the Dolphins were going to the playoffs. I was just getting over the disappointment of another NY Mets collapse in September and then I had to endure this collapse? It was too much for me to handle. Once the season ended, I knew you were not coming back and would hold yet another press conference for your retirement. So my initial prediction of you only playing one year and then retiring was correct. So the Jets organization traded a draft pick to get you, waived Pennington to sign you, and the team does not make the playoffs. This does not sound fair to me.

I am glad you told Minnesota that you will not return to the NFL stating that you were not "mentally or physically" ready to endure another season. I just wished that you would have told the Jets the same thing. So I ask of you, Mr. Favre, please stay retired and please do not "tease" teams months from now that you are "mentally and physically" ready to play. Just stay retired and enjoy the fact that you will be considered one of the best quarterbacks that ever played the game.

Regards,

Disappointed Jets Fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment